The ALTTF firmly believes that a clean and safe learning environment is essential for the welfare of everyone. The actions of each individual contribute to the development of an incident and injury free workforce. All ALTTF course participants must maintain a strong personal desire to think and act safely and develop a culture of safety in the classroom and the workplace.
All course participants are expected to intervene to eliminate unsafe behavior or conditions.
General Safety Rules
- Compressed gas cylinders must be secured in an upright position.
- Do not operate machinery without authorization.
- Do not walk under overhead/suspended loads.
- Gasoline/diesel must be stored and transported in authorized containers only; engines must be shut off when refueling.
- Horseplay will not be tolerated.
- Inspect all tools prior to use. Never operate any tool/machine unless all guards and safety devices are in place and in proper condition.
- Keep all tools in safe working condition. Never use defective tools or equipment.
- Place ladders on a flat, level base and do not use ladders with broken, split or missing rungs or rails. All ladders are to extend at least three feet above the landing platform and be properly securely.
- Practice good housekeeping at all times, do not leave materials in aisles, walkways, stairways, road or other points of egress.
- Promptly report all injuries to the Instructor. Promptly report any unsafe conditions to the Instructor.
- Properly maintain all personal protective equipment.
- Riding moving equipment/hoists is prohibited except on seats provided.
- Smoking is permitted in designated smoking areas only.
- The use of, or being under the influence of intoxicating beverages or substances is prohibited.
- Wear hard hats and appropriate PPE when necessary, use eye and face protection where there is danger from flying objects or particles. Wear appropriate work clothes, gloves and steel toe boots. Loose clothing and jewelry must not be worn.
- When burning, welding or any type of hot work is being done, a trained and competent fire watch with a fire extinguisher must be located near-by.
Failure to follow one or more of these rules will be discussed with the community that organized the program and may result in the participants expulsion from the program.